Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day Five: Still almost there


Here is where my mind and story get a little fuzzy. Time really has no more meaning for me at this point. I remember having a grilled chicken sandwich and french fries, but I do not remember when this was.  In fact, if you told me I hallucinated that, I’d take your word for it (watch the movie Insidious; a creature from the further may have taken over during this time). I know I slept a little longer, watched some TV in our room, and sporadically checked on Gibbs, who, BY THE WAY, is just loving this whole part of the trip!  It’s a pirate’s life for him!!  But all in all, I still have no recollection of time.

Sneeze.  Sniffle.

We find out we never left last night due to bad weather on the other side by Crete. Better safe than sorry is fine by me.  I don’t need this story turning into Castaway 2:  Wilson Returns! I do know we finally left the port around 8am.  I made a mental note that we left port because I immediately feel the ferry move!

My first thought is that it’s not so bad...

Then it’s bad, but I’m ok...

Then we are really moving and rocking and bouncing.  Things are crashing around me and I start to freak out a bit. Kip tries to calm my nerves by singing the Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald and I have a vivid and spontaneous vision of me throwing him overboard!!!

And then...Oh, yes... the moment you were waiting for…

You know that saying, right?  When the ferry boat’s a-rockin’...Alex is probably pukin’!!!!
THAR SHE BLOWS!!

I make a mad dash to the bathroom as the contents of my stomach come back to say hello.  I could almost swear I saw that sugar doughnut.  I continue to make friends with the toilet and proceed to have a very personal conversation with it for the next 30 min or so.

I make it out of the rocking bathroom (barely alive, I’m sure) and lie on the rocking bed and cry and cry and cry. I am now in the middle of having a wonderful little pity party for myself.

Achooo.
I suck it up (literally and figuratively) and decide I need to see the outside and move a little bit.  When all else fails...Beer can cure what ails you!

Sneeze Sneeze Sneeze.

I spend the next however many hours just wondering around in a slight daze.  Most of the ferry is now smelling like my previous foot problem (did everyone just fart at the same time?!!)...Where’s my Old Spice when I really need it?!?! I would’ve wiped it under my nose like Jodi Foster did with that Vick’s rub in Silence of the Lambs to ward off the smell before she examined that nasty dead body!  But anyway, I try very hard not to throw up every two seconds and pray to Zeus and his gang that we arrive soon. The smells and the rocking of the boat are almost proving too much for me to handle and now I can’t stop sneezing! Perfection!

I think I may have slept again and I know I ate, but that’s about it.
AND THEN………
Suddenly there is a change in the movement of the boat and we realize we are almost there. We are in the bay and I see a dock that is not in Athens.

WE CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT!! Crete at long last. It may have well been OZ!
As I am pulling up to one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen I want to pinch myself to make sure that
1. I am actually here with my little family intact.
2. That I actually get to spend the next few years of my life here.  

And with this I also made a promise to myself that I would not fly or ride this floating contraption any time soon. Do you see the irony in this? (Hint: Crete is an island) So stay safe everyone and you are more than welcome to come visit me here!

Needless to say, we are all here together and I couldn’t be happier.  Gibbs is acting like he is a Grecian Bulldog (might have to fashion him a toga) and is loving his new surroundings!  And as I type this story of mine, with my healthy and very much alive, snoring, and drooling bulldog on my lap, and a loving husband that sings a bit too much,  I know it was all very well worth it!!
Hope you enjoyed it! I am sure to have more stories soon ;)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for your return trip and chapter 2.
    Wendy & Garys

    ReplyDelete